Growth and Development
GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT – (click to jump to specific module section)
Updated March 2020
- Physiologic Development
- Social and Cognitive Development
- Development of Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation
Please share any comments and/or feedback with us via email.
- Describe Sexual Maturity Rating (SMR) staging and develop skills in properly staging adolescents’ physiologic development
- Recognize the stages and progress of normal pubertal development
Readings and Videos
- Khan, L. Puberty: Onset and Progression. Pediatric Annals. 2019;48(4):e141-e145
- Chulani VL, Gordon LP. Adolescent growth and development. Prim Care. 2014 Sep;41(3):465-87. doi: 10.1016/j.pop.2014.05.002.
- Bordini B, Rosenfield RL. Normal pubertal development: Part I: The endocrine basis of puberty. Pediatr Rev 2011;32(6):223-9.
- Bordini B, Rosenfield RL. Normal pubertal development: part II: clinical aspects of puberty. Pediatr Rev 2011;32(7):281-92.
Materials to Develop Educational Sessions
Clinical and Community Settings
- Outpatient (adolescent clinic, primary care clinic, endocrinology)
- Inpatient (wards, PICU)
- Emergency department
DEVELOPMENT OF GENDER IDENTITY AND SEXUAL ORIENTATION
- Explain the difference between gender identity and sexual orientation, and how these both exist on a spectrum
- Apply a developmental framework when discussing the development of gender identity with patients and families
- Apply a developmental framework when discussing the development of sexual orientation with patients and families
- Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine. Recommendations for promoting the health and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender adolescents: a position paper of the Society for Adolescent Health and Medicine. Journal of Adolescent Health 2013;52(4):506-10.
- Raftery, Jason. American Academy of Pediatrics. (2015, June 4). Gender Identity Development in Children.
- Raferty, Jason. American Academy of Pediatrics (2018, October). Ensuring comprehensive care and support for transgender and gender diverse children and adolescents
- Olson-Kennedy, Rosenthal, Hastings, & Wesp. UCSF Transgender Care. (2016, June). Health considerations for gender non-conforming children and transgender adolescents.
- PBS Frontline: Growing up Trans
- The Gender Unicorn. Available from Trans Student Educational Resources.
- Caring for LGBTQ Youth in Clinical Settings – Available free with registration from National LGBT Health Education Center
- Lee R, Loeb D, Butterfield A. Sexual History Taking Curriculum: Lecture and Standardized Patient Cases. MedEdPORTAL Publication; 2014.
- There are many more resources from MedEd – click to search “LGBT” on the MedEd Portal.
- Caring for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans- gender, and Questioning Youth
- Caring for Transgender Adolescents
ARSHEP videos and discussion guides available at: https://prh.org/adolescent-reproductive-sexual-health-case-videos/
- Sexuality & Gender: Sexual History-Taking and Gender
- Sexuality & Gender: Coming Out
- Outpatient (adolescent clinic, primary care clinic, trans/gender clinic – if available)
- Community organizations focusing on providing social services, support groups to LGBTQ youth