Career Development Award
SAHM IS NOT ACCEPTING NOMINATIONS FOR THE CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARD FOR 2023.
This award is directed at promoting interest in a career in the field of adolescent health. A $1,500 scholarship will be awarded to one recipient. Applicants eligible for consideration include:
- Individuals (any full-time student or trainee) who have already declared an interest in adolescent health and are pursuing educational opportunities to meet that objective who are currently enrolled in, or accepted for admission to, an educational or training institution.
- Individuals not currently in training or other educational program focused on adolescent health, but would use the award to become familiar with the field.
- Applicants from all relevant adolescent health disciplines may apply.
- International students are also encouraged to apply.
- It is essential that the applicant conduct research during the 12-month award period (May 1-April 30) with a mentor or advisor in adolescent health. The mentor or advisor may be from any discipline, but s/he must have specialty training in adolescent health/development at the Master’s or doctorate level.
- Adolescent health research includes any discipline of knowledge related to the health and well-being of adolescents. Examples include, but are not limited to, research in health services, basic science, clinical medicine, social and behavioral science, nutrition, and advocacy or the mass media.
1. Download and complete the nomination form.
2. Include the below-referenced supporting documentation with the form.
- A letter of recommendation from the nominee’s mentor/advisor in adolescent health at applicant’s institution. This letter should describe applicant’s commitment to the health and well-being of adolescents and applicant’s involvement in the research project.
- A letter nominating applicant for the award from a current SAHM member. This letter is only necessary if the mentor/advisor is NOT a SAHM member.
- A 3-5 page typed narrative that includes the following:
- a. A description of applicant’s commitment to the health and well-being of adolescents through past and current activities such as community service, mentoring, and coaching.
- b. A brief description of applicant’s research project describing applicant’s level of involvement in the design, execution, and analysis of the project.
- c. A discussion of how applicant believes the award will impact upon their career choice.
Business and Administration: The recipient of The Career Development Award will be recognized at the 2022 Awards Ceremony and presented with a monetary award of $1500 and a commemorative plaque.
Note: You may apply for more than one award, but please submit a separate application (completed in full) for each.
For questions, please contact SAHM staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The SAHM Awards Career sub-committee is charged with reviewing all applications and selecting award recipients.